Even the hardest of individuals understand brotherhood, whether it is the natural brother or a brotherhood by association. We as believers talk about our brothers and sisters in Christ. What does that imply? Who is your brother and sister in Christ?
Romans 1:13 I do not want you to be unaware, brothers that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles. 14I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. 15That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are at Rome
As we are still in the first chapter of Romans, but I just keep hearing how strong Paul feels about our relationship not only with God the Father but, among us as believers. Here he calls a group of individuals that he has never met, brothers. How can that be? Brother carries with it a connotation of affection one to another. So how do we have that relationship with one that we do not personally know or to someone we have never met?
As believers we have a brother/sister relationship because of our relationship to the heavenly father and not because we agree with, look alike, or act alike. As believers we are members of the family of God, therefore all differences should be forsaken. Why? Not for the sake of brotherhood but for the sake of the gospel of Christ. While brotherhood is so important, the result is that a harvest is among us when the gospel is preached. There is a direct relation between a harvest and the condition of the body of Christ. If the body (church) is not healthy, it cannot reproduce.
1. Who is your brother/sister in Christ? How do you relate to them?
2. Is your attitude to other brothers and sisters in Christ so that you are willing to do whatever you need to do for a harvest to take place in the kingdom?
3. Are there things (hurt feelings, envy, jealously, unforgiveness, pride, etc.) that keep you from relating to your brothers and sisters in Christ that you need to get rid of? Name it and get rid of it now.
4. What does harvest imply? When we plant a seed what do we expect?
5. How eager are you to carry the gospel to others or are you caught up in the things that would bring disharmony among you and other believers?
Dear Father, help me to love your children the way a father wants his children to love each other. Forgive me and remove from me any unloving attitudes or feeling that are not of you. Lead me in such relationships that would lead others to know you. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.