Friday, June 18, 2010

ROMANS 1:16-17 HOW DO YOU REACT TO THE GOSPEL?


Are you able to say with Paul, I am not ashamed of the gospel? I want to be able to make this claim as Paul did but many times I am more like Peter when he denied Christ 3 times and the shame he felt when he heard the cock crow.

Scripture:
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes:  first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 17 For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."
Philippians 3:8. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ.

Lesson:
“I am not ashamed of the gospel,” is probably one of Paul’s most famous sayings. Why was it necessary for Paul to inject this statement into this message? Obviously there were some who were ashamed to acknowledge their belief and faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ. There were those who just thought that the message of Jesus was just too simple. Remember, there were those who thought that Jesus would come as a king on a white horse, as a warrior, to lead his people in a revolt. Some actually thought he would come off the cross and defeat Rome. It appeared that the kingly leader was defeated. They did not believe that Christ arose, or that there was life after death.

We are attuned to the world and the world is really intolerant to Christianity, even hostile at times. Many individuals do not like change and the gospel of Jesus challenged the religious sect to make some changes in the way they worshipped and in the way they lived their lives. Paul was not ashamed of the gospel and he challenges us to speak boldly in personal evangelism. This means to me that we all have an obligation to share the gospel.

Application:
1.   Why do we shy away from proclaiming the gospel?
2.   How many people do you know that are active in personal evangelism?
3.   How comfortable are you in sharing the gospel with others? Would you like to be more comfortable?
4.   Do you believe the gospel is good news, then why would you hesitate to share it?
5.   What reasons do you shy away are not active in personal evangelism?

Prayer:
Dear Father, thank you for loving me enough to die for me. Help me to be strong and bold in testifying for you when you open doors of opportunity to witness. In Jesus name I pray, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Comments