Are you right with God? You say, “Well I want to be.” But how is one made right with God?
Romans 1:17 For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."
I heard someone once say, “Well, she was a “good” woman, you know she went to heaven.” Is that true, is that Biblical? Does being “good” make us right with God? Would being good give us a ticket into heaven?
There is only one way to be saved? By Christ and Christ alone. However, being saved is not a one-time ticket, for salvation is a lifelong process. We are told that he who endures to the end will receive the reward.
It is by accepting and trusting Christ that we are saved. In other words, we are made right with God. Our faith and faith alone justifies us.
· “The just shall live by faith” is a quote from Habakkuk 2:4 and is key doctrine not only for Romans but the Bible as a whole. Romans 10:9-10 “that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.”
· “The just shall live by faith” To Live means to lead a particular type of existence, experience something, or to continue. It means how we live our lives. In other words our faith influences how we live our lives. We do not just live as we please. We live according to the one within whom our faith resides.
To answer the question, Being good does not make us righteous, but if we are righteous we will be good. When we become a believer, there is evidence of the Holy Spirit living within us. The Fruit of the Spirit produces goodness from within us.
1. Are you depending on your “goodness” to justify your righteousness before God? Will that be enough?
2. Are you right with God?
3. Do your actions reflect that you are walking by faith and not sight?
4. Are you working on developing an obedient faith?
Dear Father, our righteousness is dependent upon our faith, for our goodness is rubbish in your eyes. Make my faith strong. Live in and through me that I may be pleasing to you. Help me to walk in faith and not by sight only. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.