Saturday, July 3, 2010

Will God Give us our Way?

Will God ever just let individuals have their way? What does it mean when we say, “God gave them over?”

Scripture:
Romans 1:24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen. 26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
 28 Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.

Lesson:
First, God loves us and He provided the Word as a standard with which we are to live our lives. Christ is the standard and not the world. He gave us this standard because it would help us live our lives with less problems not so he could punish us when we break them. If we are to please God and live a less complicated life we will choose wisdom from God as communicated in the New Testament. We must always seek answers to the hard questions by asking God’s intent and design for mankind in the situation and circumstances we face.

However, if we persistently choose to go our own rebellious way then God will give us up to our own way. When people turn from God’s truth they turn to their own understanding, their own desires, their own principles. They turn away from the foundational truths that would keep them from getting into trouble.  Paul tells us that when God allowed man to go their way they chose a lifestyle that is the opposite of God’s standard: sexual impurity, shameful lust and deprived mind.

Peter’s instructions to those living among the immoral and corrupt was, "...as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, ’Be holy, for I am holy.’" I Peter 2:14-16.

Paul says to us, "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12:2.

Application:
1.   What warning does Paul give us for seeking Him rather than our own ways?
2.   What attitude should we have concerning those who have turned from God’s ways?
3.   How holy are you in your walk or have you conformed to the world?
4.   What instruction does Paul give us as we live among the corrupt world?

Prayer:
Dear Father, I want to be obedient to you. Renew my mind that I may be good, acceptable and perfect in your will. Help me to be holy in my conduct and not to conform to the world’s way. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I know this is an older post, but I have a question about this. I have a family member who has been saved, but has recently become involved in a lesbian relationship. She had been married to a man, who came out as gay to her after 6 months of marriage. We were all pretty shocked. She is very recently divorced. Now I suppose out of fear of men or lack of trust, she is now in a same sex relationship. We have at times discussed this very issue regarding Rom ch 1, but she is closed off and I fear too much pushing will make the situation worse. I'm now worried about her salvation. People say you cannot lose it, but she is clearly rejecting God now and I am not sure what to think. It clearly says He will give you over to your deprave-ness. I pray for her daily. She is choosing this, but does not seem to see it as wrong or against God. I'm at my wits end. Your thoughts? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot begin to speak for God but there are some things to consider.
    1) God loves us and I believe that he as long as we live there is opportunity for us to turn to him for he longs that no one would perish.
    2)Scripture tell us us that we know a tree by its fruit. It is not our fruit that saves us but those that choose Christ will produce fruit.
    3) I have found in my own life that as I see family members that trapped in situations that are influenced by world standards, we assume that they do not know God. We can know their actions are not influenced by the power of God. But only God knows the heart of the individual. With that being said. I go to 2 Chronicles 7:14 " if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." As I seek God in prayer and fasting. As I go to him through prayer and supplication God has begun to heal my land. There is nothing more powerful than prayer and fasting. Keep in mind the prayer and fasting is that WE ourselves come into such a relationship, that we are changed, that others take notice. Remember the Queen of Sheba and King Soloman. Because of King Solomon's wisdom from God she sought him out.
    4) Pray for your relative that God will protect them from themselves. That God will make her miserable in her own situation and turn to Him. And remember it takes the same amount of Grace to keep us from falling off the track as it does to get her back on track.
    5) I thank God for you and your concern for your family. Out world is in a mess and the only thing that is going to save our families is if we as believers take life seriously and spend time in prayer and fasting.
    6) You may want to pick up the book by Ronnie Floyd, the Power of Prayer and Fasting, God's Gateway to Spiritual Breakthroughs.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Comments