Monday, April 15, 2013

Where is Your Name in Jesus Genealogy?

Scripture:

“The book of genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham... 
So all the generations from Abraham to David were fourteen generations, and from David to the deportation of Babylon Fourteen generations, and from the deportation to Babylon to the Christ is fourteen generations. Matthew 1:1-17

Study:
One might ask, why spend time on boring genealogy? Regardless our parents, we were all born in Adam's line of genealogy. We were born in sin and in that state of sin we will die. (Rom 5:12). God called his people but they refused to follow him so for some 400 years God was silent. 

Here Matthew (New Testament) begins by telling us about God's plan to redeem man from his sin. God's story of mankind was made up of all kinds of personalities. The Old Testament and this genealogy bears witness to God's plan for the redemption of man through the coming Messiah. 

This genealogy shows how God used ordinary people to further his kingdom. An interesting group of people. Abraham was a liar, Jacob was a thief, Tamar was a harlot, David a murderer and on and on. Each of these were born by natural birth into the genealogy line. But, just as God planned the history line of those preceding Jesus he make a way for a genealogy line following Jesus. By God's grace and mercy he included us in this plan. It was for us.  I am so glad that I am a part of this plan. 

Matthew is going to show us God's new plan. It is not by natural birth it is by new birth. John 3:3 tells us, "we must be born again to see the kingdom of God." This generation will be made of those who have a personal relationship with Christ, who chooses to follow Him and to trust their lives into his care. And those names will be written in "the book of life."  

Application: We all were born into Adam's line putting us in the "book of death." But, we do not have to remain there. We can have our names added to the "book of life." Just as we may be surprised at those who were in Jesus earthly genealogy, we may be surprised who will end up in his "book of life." Choose this day whom you will serve. This will determine if your name will is added to "book of life." 

How does this genealogy speak to you? 

Prayer: 
Dear God, thank you for my salvation. Forgive me for my sins, and help me to walk closer in you path. Help me to live my life in such a way that others will choose to follow you. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.



4 comments:

  1. The summary of the genealogy in Mt. 1:17 emphasizes David (named twice) and the deportation to Babylon (mentioned twice). The descendants listed after David are kings, and the failures of most of them led to God's punishment of deportation to Babylon. Only with the climax of the genealogy, the birth of the Christ (anointed king), comes the new plan. Just as Christ was conceived in Mary through the Spirit, so the children of God in this "new plan" are born again, born of the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patsy, I have recently discovered that through a tradegy, my mind and soul have been renewed. I am burned, but I am much more the better, and very different. Thank you for bringing some points I am enjoying to consider. I have thought about writing a book to inspire other common people for a good while but then I thought; 'well, best to leave such to someone like Lucado or someone who writes well grammatically'. I guess for several reasons, but mostly for selfish reasons. When someone does something for God, someone else has to come along and point out the short comings - who wants to write a book,and then like Abraham, someone points out that they were a liar, murderer, or coward or so on. I thought God could be best glorified by someone who is spotless, or flawless or better. Like I was doing God a favor by standing aside for someone more capable. But lately, pride has not been such the monster that it once was and that is surprisingly a freeing feeling - but I still have a way to go.
    Until I read this post, It never occurred to me that maybe the sacrifice we make, is doing for God and not worrying about who will believe the truth and who will not or who will focus on my weaknesses instead of the focus staying on the glory for God.
    I agree about Matthew, The New Testament is a treasure beyond compare because Matthew will show us Gods new plan if we just have the courage and faith to open our hearts to Jesus. Maybe God does want me to write that book, Im just a common person. I have thought about calling the book, '5 impossible Things'.
    Thank you for giving me something to think about because I think I am meant to be in that geaneology lineup. I may have delayed my mission but that does not mean that I have been dismissed, replaced or recalled. Maybe one of the best tricks of the devil is to make us feel like we are not worthy to serve God. Like we are not meant for the lineup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that clarification. And aren't we glad we are a part of that new plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me wonder about the common folk that were used; the devil must have tried a lot of ways to block each person who tried to talk about how good God is or about how someone was coming that John felt like he wasnt worthy to buckle the sandels of. I wonder how they felt, and delt with mistakes and failures in the struggle past weaknesses for the glory of God. I wonder if things happened that were never expected and how they kept their faith and focus on God. I wonder how they reacted when people turned away and how they dealt with the heartache for the people who would not listen to the truth of Jesus.
    We live in a time that is so much easier because Jesus has already came and redeemed us. But like the geneo- lineage - things pass down from the previous generations to the present and I think we still struggle, just us common folks, the same ways that a lot of the Biblical common folks did because we are a part of Gods plan. Maybe that is one way that God shows us that we are a part of his plan. Thank you for helping me to see that.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Comments