Thursday, May 9, 2013

Identify!



Scripture: 
But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” …And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:13-17

Study:
After Eve and Adam sinned, there needed to be a perfect sacrifice to justify humanity for his sin. Jesus, having no sin, willing accepted God's plan to "fulfill all righteousness." Jesus' first step in fulfilling God's plan was to be water baptized. He did this to identify with his people. As Jesus came from the water, the Holy Spirit descended upon him to affirm his calling, which included the cross, death, and resurrection. Then God/Father said, “I am well pleased.”
   
In the previous post, we discussed that man's first step to salvation is confession and repentance followed by water baptism. It is not the water that saves but what the baptism represents. Baptism is an outward action to identify us with Christ and the work He accomplished for us to fulfill our righteousness. As we identify with Christ we follow his example of dying to himself. We die to sinful way of life, and choose to submit to the Holy Spirits' direction in our life. In other words, by our identity with Christ, we are made righteous in Him. When this happens God/Father will be pleased. And note this, not only will God notice, but others will identify us with Christ. 

Application: Jesus identified with us and we will identify with Him. If our lives do not identify us with Jesus, the act was meaningless. Does our walk identify us with Jesus?

Prayer: 
Dear Father, Jesus, help us remember that our identity is in you, and may we live accordingly. Amen.




2 comments:

  1. I always try to ask myself, what would Jesus do if any given situation or opportunity or etc, happened to Him - or I ask, how should I feel about this or that so that it wont be embarrassing to God - what do I need to believe about this or that to make my heart pleasing to God. I guess because I think King Saul had the worst possible out come. God made him King and he made God regret - imagine making God regret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that you posted this! This past weekend I completed working my notice at a job in Shelby that I have had for almost 15 years. I had to let i go because it prevented me from ever being able to get to church. I replaced it with a part time job in Forest City, still Saturday and Sunday but on the 3rd shift so I can at least get to church once on Sundays and I am hoping for twice!!
    It was making me very upset to never be able to get to church. We go to church because God said for us to and to praise Him. I love church but I also see a church relationship as a duty to God. If we say God matters to us, we have to prove it.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Comments