Saturday, June 22, 2013

Meekness is Not Surrender!


Scripture: Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth. Matthew 5:5

Truth for Today:
Jesus said,  "Come follow me." His disciples followed, and Jesus sat down and taught them saying, “Blessed are the meek.” What is meekness? 

As a young girl my dad was in the field working and an  an angry man attacked him. In the process the angered man hit my dad on the side of the face tearing his ear half off. The angered man left, and my dad rushed to the hospital where it took 7 stitches to sew up his ear. Interesting enough, my dad was told a man just left who had been there getting his hand wrapped. He had crushed his knuckles on my dad's face.

I was furious. My dad did nothing. At first, I though my dad had demonstrated weakness, cowardice, and even an inability to stand firm on his convictions. I could not understand why he would not fight back or at least take out a warrant for the angered man. When I questioned his actions, His answer was simple; “I have spent my whole life trying to share the gospel of Jesus with this man. To fight back would have made me no different than he.” For the first time in my life as a young girl I saw the character of Jesus in my dad. 

Meekness is not a surrender of our right; meekness is our right to surrender, believing that our God will vindicate us (Romans 12:19). Jesus was a model of meekness. Jesus modeled the character of God. He did not press his rights nor did he trample the rights of others. Jesus was a true gentleman. A believer surrenders his will to the Holy Spirit enabling him to produce this quality of meekness in us. Just as a master brings the power of an untamed horse under control, the Holy Spirit brings the believer under control.

What is there to gain from meekness? Jesus said, “Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.” As we bend our knees, humble ourselves, and surrender to God’s authority in our lives we no longer have to struggle within our own strength. We can rest in knowing that we will not only experience the new earth but we will receive the promise of God to give us love, peace, and joy.

Prayer:
Dear Father, may I surrender to the Holy Spirit's work in my life as he brings my untamed spirit under control. Produce in me love, peace, and joy. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. It all comes down to attitude. To make a hero or a villiam takes the same conditions; the difference is the attitude of the "victor" or the "victim", depending on how our attitude shapes our thinking around our experiences. Attitude is just one of the many reasons within whom relying on Jesus will literally save us. For instance, say a child born several hundred years ago loses someone he loves to tetnus and he grows up to focus on helping others not to experience his pain and he discovers the tetnus shot (hero). Or the same boy grows up and wants others to know exactly how he feels so they wont judge him his limitations or faults and he runs arounf leaving rusty nails everywhere he goes (villian). In so many ways we are what we think. or rather how we think. Well, at least that is what I think.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Comments