Friday, August 2, 2013

You Hurt My Feelings...


Power Struggle: "God gave me feelings. Do I just ignore my feeling when someone hurts me? What does the Bible teach about dealing with our feelings?"

Scripture:
 "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy." Matthew 5:6

Truth Encounter:
Jesus had just spoken to his Followers, telling them that a person who has accepted Him embodies His character. They are poor in Spirit, they mourn, they are meek, and they hunger and thirst after His righteousness. Then Jesus turned his teaching to their behavior. If we choose to Follow Him it will influence our behavior. In today’s scripture Jesus gives us an insight to how we are to deal with our feelings. He says, “Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.”

What does feeling have to do with mercy? Feelings often determine how people relate to each other. Feelings play a large role in determining if mercy or justice is extended.

Mercy is the act of getting what we do not deserve. We all have experience mercy at some time or another. Some of you may have experienced the sound of the judge’s gavel as a verdict is pronounced. If not, you may have experienced the simultaneous flashing blue light in the rear view mirror and the sound of a patrol car siren, as the patrol officer tells you that you were exceeding the speed limit. You may not have experienced either of these but most of us have been guilty of hurting someone, intentionally or unintentionally, which had the potential of damaging our relationship with them. We either suffer the consequences of our actions or receive mercy instead of justice that could be dealt to us.

Our hope is to receive mercy. However, Jesus is more interested in us extending mercy. Before we can extend mercy to others we must forgive them. Because our feelings are so sensitive, many professing Christians wrestle with forgiveness. However, when we become a child of God the Holy Spirit will produce in us the ability to not only forgive but to extend mercy to those who have wronged us.

If we are not intentional about Following God we will allow our feelings to control our actions instead of the will of God. I must confess that this week I was tempted to extend justice rather than mercy to those who I felt had taken advantage of me. During my worship, the Holy Spirit reminded me of Jesus words from the cross, “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do,” Luke 23:34.

Then other verses came to my mind. Jesus also said, “If you do not forgive others you will not be forgiven,” Matthew 6:15. Paul told us, that God’s grace is sufficient during our times of need,” 2 Corinthians 12:9. I asked forgiveness for my sin, and prayed God would extend mercy to those who I felt has wronged me.

Do you struggle with hurt feeling? What scripture truth can you share with us from God's word that helped you deal with your feelings and those who hurt you? 

Prayer:
Dear Father, Thank you for your mercy to me. Create in me love, kindness, patience, and compassion, and forgiveness, that I might show mercy to those less fortunate than me and to those who have wronged me. And… Father, forgive my avengers for they know not what they do. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Patsy, I am so proud of you! You told me one day when we were discussing which sins we struggled most with that power is the sin that you fight most. When you resisted the urge to stomp someone who had wronged you - you over came the sin of power!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary. I hardly remember that talk. However, since then the Holy Spirit has convicted me that there are many things that would cause us to struggle. The important thing is that we learn to recognize the root of the struggle. Satan himself. I have come to realize that for too long I focused on my struggles rather than the cure. I have turned my focus to Jesus. PS. Keeping you in my prayers. Hope Job situation is better.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Comments