Thursday, April 24, 2008

Draw near to God

Scripture:Numbers 14:,41, 43 "Why are you disobeying the Lords command?" "Because you have turned away the from the Lord, he will not be with you and you will fall by the sword."

What a way to start the day. This site should uplift someone not drag them down. This does not seem like a loving God. But on the flip side of the coin, the opposite is true, because if you draw near to the Lord, he will keep you close to him and protect you.

I know, from my experience as a teacher, the importance of teaching children that in order to maintain a civil society there must be some ground rules. All students learn soon that there are consequences to breaking those rules, and rewards for following the rules and procedures. When God created us he gave man rules to follow and live by. Time and time again he calls for us to be obedient. When a crisis or calamity comes, people are so quick to blame God, however, so many times bad things happen as a result of our own decisions and behaviors.

Moses, the Israelites leader, asked the people why they were disobeying God, then he reminded them that their disobedience would bring destruction. It is interesting that even after being warned they chose to go their own way which resulted in destruction, death. And yet, as I examine my own life, I find that when I take my focus off God and go to my own way I hve problems of all sorts.

Keep in mind that this scripture is not a promise that his followers will never face pain or persecution, that will be another days discussion, but God will be with us to see us through it.

Prayer: Dear God, help me to draw near to you and to be obedient to you when you call me to a task and not on my own time or in my own way. Thank you for the grace that you show me daily. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Comments