Friday, September 4, 2009

Rid Yourself of Fear

What do you FEAR most?
Have you identified your FEAR?
Can you imagine living just a short time without that FEAR? What would that freedom feel like?
I just finished another of Thomas Nelson's books, FEARLESS, by Max Lucado.

Fear to me, if unidentified, is like a thief that robs us of all the opportunities of living the victorious life that Christ would desire for us. We all have, or have had fear, and that fear will "always be at our door." Whether we want to admit it or not, as we observe and interact with individuals and their responses to situations, their fear(s) will soon surface. Lucado defines fear as "an emotional response to a threat that causes us to escape or avoid the threat." He goes on to say that "if fear is not dealt with, it can lead to a worse situation or unacceptable behaviors.”

Over the years, I have seen how hard it is to react out of my faith rather than my fears. But this can be done. I haven't gotten it all perfected, but Lucado has certainly challenged me to continue my journey, combating fear by trusting God rather than myself.

One way I try to keep myself in check is to ask/remind myself daily of the question, "Do I respond more out of fear of failure, rejection, calamity, or out of the power of the risen Christ in me?" God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control (2 Timothy 1: 7). WOW! Can you imagine your life without fear?

Make sure you get a copy of Lucado's book Fearless. It is truly life changing. It is truly a tool to show you a life of freedom - free of our fears. Read it yourself, then share your copy with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Comments