Saturday, January 28, 2012

By the Way of the Cross

Scripture: 
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6



Thought:
I just finished reading a blog from a fellow believer, Jim, who reminded me that, "Your salvation does not hang in the balance because of your performance of good deeds." A few weeks ago our assistant pastor, spoke on Romans 7:14-20.We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.c For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. 


I can identify with Paul. Even when I strive to live as Christ modeled, sometimes I fail. But you know, even if you make no mistakes, and you do many good deeds, it is as filthy rags in comparison to what Christ did for us. I am thankful for God's mercy and grace and that He gave His son to die in our place.


Knowing ahead of time that Pastor Rose would use this Romans passage for the message, I asked to share my testimony in song, I Have Come by the Way of the Cross. (I found a video clip of the same song by TaRanda Greene. Hope you enjoy it. )




Application:
  1. Are there times when you feel you just cannot get it right?
  2. Do you keep working to try and make up for the times you have failed?
  3. Accept God's mercy and grace. Jesus died because, regardless how hard we try, we cannot save ourselves. The only way is by the cross.
Prayer:
Dear Father, forgive me for the times that I fail you. Help me to accept my gift of salvation and stop trying to earn it. Show me the things you want me to do. I want to serve you out of my love and gratitude for what you did for me.  In Jesus name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Comments