Monday, June 3, 2013

Need An Attitude Adjustment?





Scripture: "Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them. He said: Blessed are..." Matthew 5:1-12

Study: The Old Testament ended with a curse (Malachi 4:6). Righteousness had been reduced to a little more than ceremony and tradition, sacrifice of animals, and man-made temples. Their understanding of the kingdom was nothing more that the hope for a king that would bring political power to the nation of Israel. But, God is the God of hope. The New Testament begins with a blessing, eternal life. Jesus had travel throughout the surrounding area of Galilee teaching the blessing to all who would receive it, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

The kingdom of heaven is a new way of life. Because so many misunderstand the coming kingdom of Christ, Jesus sat down and began to teach them what it meant to be kingdom-minded or for Christ to reign in their lives. He was so careful but in reality, he was telling them they needed an attitude adjustment. In other words if you belong to me your attitude will reflect my character. 

Application: Many see the gospel light and hear the gospel sound but never experience transformation in their lives because they will not allow the light and sound to sink into the the depths of their mind and heart.  Kingdom living, abundant life, is not just for tomorrow but how we live our lives in the present. However, without an attitude change will not be blessed. Jesus was telling the crowd, to inherit the kingdom requires evidence of an attitude change. In other words, "A bad attitude is like a flat tire, you are not going anywhere until you change it." 

As a child of God we are changed or transformed into the likeness of Christ. Our new attitude and character is evidence of the baptism of the Spirit. Without this new attitude we will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. 

How blessed are you? Some days I need an attitude adjustment. What kind of attitude adjustment do you need?   

Prayer: 
Dear Father, reveal to me the attitudes in my life that are not kingdom-minded. Help me to surrender my attitude so that you can produce in me your attitude and character. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

3 comments:

  1. It is extraordinary to read and see that you and I are on the same page. In my previous job, I used the analogy of a car with a flat tire to help families understand that they needed to make a change and to see the resources available as tools just like lug wrenches or tire irons or jacks that would be used on a flat tire. I also spoke last week of hope during an interview. Without hope we have nothing and God is the God of hope.( I wonder if the Holy Spirit is maybe named Hope and it has just not been revealed to us yet.)
    I think sometimes people have bad attitudes when they should not, for example, God tells us to try Him and see...well if we dont ask of Him then how can we feel shorted?
    My attitude is pretty healthy at this point in my life or maybe I should say walk. I see where I should make some improvements and I understand some things about the past that did not make sense at the time. I think Attitude is key because if we hold hope in our hearts we will have a better attitude most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I am so glad to hear that your walk with Jesus is going well. Jesus is our Hope. Jesus is sitting on the throne. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to live the life Jesus created us to live. He wants us to be the person he created us to be. He is telling the people this is who they are not what they do. Our behavior is influenced by our attitude. For a long time I tried to perform "good" deeds but they were out of the flesh not from the Holy Spirit. The truth is, any work that is produced from our ability is just that, a work of the flesh. However, if I surrender to the Holy Spirit and allow him to produce in me the fruit of the spirit, the attitude of (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control) then the works will be good. As we abide in Christ and His Word, and submit to and be obedient to the Holy Spirit, He will give us the attitude we desire.

    The way that I knew that I was still operating in the flesh is that so often my attitude was influenced by the people around me. My responses to them was dependent on circumstances and situations. When I realized my sinful condition, I began to pray, "Lord I surrender my self to you. Fill me with your Spirit." Some say..."God does not perform miracles today." I know different. He transformed my heart. He gave me a new attitude. To God be the glory for the work he is accomplishing in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also struggled with allowing people to influence me and only recently overcame that when my Sunday School teacher Johnny advised me to stand on proverbs 3:5-6 and hold to the truth (as I said I would likely offer to confess to everything that might improve the situation as that was one of my long time weakness). You also offered me good advice that I finally came to understand which was to just let go and let God. That works great, when we finally just do it. Attitude is critical and relying on Jesus is everlasting hope.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Comments