Monday, March 29, 2010

Bless this House

Some people just pick up a cookbook to grab a new recipe. Not Alyson, and me. We love reading cookbooks. Could spend hours in the book stores flipping through and reading cookbooks. I just finished reading Bless This House. The book is divided into seasons. Each season has well thought out and balanced meals. Each meal begins with a story with with threads of custom, tradition, religion, and sometimes humor. One story tell of the chicken who gives himself as a sacrifice to the table and yet the cook gives him no honor by not planning an elegant affair for his going away. I love it. Her recipes are down to earth, easy to follow and calls for items that can be found at most markets. Then she add a prayer that can be read at the meal, if one so chooses. I myself, can come up with my own prayers, but the authors did a good job of stretching my mind as to things to add to my prayer other than the traditional, "God is Good," kind of prayer. Easter is upon us. Pick up Bless This House and find a way to dress up your meal. Think I will try this pilaf recipe.

Rice Pilaf
1/4 c butter
1 cup long grain rice
1 c barley
8 Green onions, chopped
2 10-oz cans consomme
2 1/2 c. water
1 4 oz can mushroom  with liquid

In a large sauce pan melt butter and brown rice and barley until brown. Add all other ingredients, cover and simmer for 30 min. or until liquid is absorbed. Toss and serve.

1 comment:

  1. ok, that rice does sound good; I might have to try that recipe out!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Comments