Monday, March 15, 2010

Is Healing a Choice? Why Pray?

Is healing a choice? Why are some healed and some not? With this said, I know that I am opening a hornets nest, but I must ask these questions anyway. Almost weekly, someone will come to me and ask me to pray for them. God promised us that where there are two or more together we can ask in his name and he hears our prayers. I was wrestling with this last night as a friend of mine and I prayed for an infection that she had. 

I do not know the result however, I got up and unknowingly my scripture for today was from Jeremiah read..."Your wound is incurable your injury beyond healing....I have struck you as an enemy would and punished you as would the cruel, because your guilt is so great and your sin so many......Why do you cry out over your wound, your pain has no cure? Because of your great guilt and many sins I have done these things to you. 

In 2 Chronicles we are told, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

I had an experience once that I had blogged about where God healed my foot. So I led this friend to pray for her healing. You know as we prayed we prayed that God would reveal any sin that we had not confessed and we prayed that there would be nothing in our lives to keep Him from healing her. 

Did God heal her? Was sin the reason she had this sickness? We were told in the Bible that not all sickness is a result of one's sin. However, in Israel's case God was telling them to stop their groaning and seek the Great Physician. Like Israel we lament over our sickness and yet there is nothing the medical world can do. God can cure the disease of sin, but we must let him do it. From all testimonies of the past and present we know that sickness and disease have made us aware of the consequences of our sin. We do know that sin is terminal and surely if we do not deal with sin, we will surely die both physically and spiritually.

Do you wrestle with this question? What is your take on sickness, suffering, and healing? If we do not believe in healing then why do we pray? Would love to hear from you.  

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the prayer did work. (Thanks for your help.) I believe in some cases sickness is a punishment from God, as it was which Jeremiah spoke to. But I also believe that unless God says different; prayer will always help and many times; prayer is all we need. Maybe that particular scripture was your scripture to show the two extremes when compared with the prayer we spoke to God on my behalf: walking with God, we are healed if we seek His intervention. Walking away from His will, as they did in the weeping prohets days, results in a sickness which no doctor can heal for God alone is the great physician.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Comments