Monday, May 24, 2010

Is That You, God?

Do you hear God’s voice? Some have said to me that God does not speak to individuals. I choose to disagree. God speaks to me all the time. 
Scripture:
Romans 1:6 And you also are among those who are called…”
John 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
Lesson:
Who are the called? Scripture tells us that God is not willing that any should perish. (John 3:16) , therefore we know he is calling out to us. We are told in Job that God even calls out in the thunder and lightning. It was through His son that God made a way for all to experience everlasting life. He calls to us just as he called to Saul on the road to Damascus. It's simple, He calls, and You either answer or ignore Him? Saul heard the call and then he answered, “What do you want me to do?”
Not so long ago I had been trimming the shrubs and low tree limbs in my yard. I stopped to adjust my ratchet cutter and when I could not see the detail of the ratchet, I realized I had lost my glasses. Yes, I had prayed that God would show them for me. After two days of looking, I went outside to look just once more time before the city maintenance picked up the limbs. As quick as I prayed, and I talk to God like I talk to you, “Lord, you know exactly where those glasses are, and I have been obedient in every way I know, to follow you,” I actually heard a belly roll chuckle, and then a voice say, “You must be kidding. When you came out the door to do your trimming I told you to take those glasses off and put on your safety glasses.” I believe that I momentarily stopped breathing for a moment. I said, “God you are so right. I heard that, but I did not know it was you.” A sickness, went through me and I though, "Why did I not know your voice?" My moment of truth followed, as He said, “If I am in you and you in me you will only hear my voice.”
How true. I taught kindergarten for 15 years and everyday we would go outside. I taught my students to listen for my voice so that I would not have to chase them down by yelling or screaming. At the end of playtime I could just raise my hand and in a loud but not screaming or yelling voice, say, “Mrs. Costner’s class come in.” You know, they would line up at the door and not once did students from the other classes line up to come in with me. Why? Sheep hear their master’s voice and are obedient to his call. 


I cried to my God, and asked forgiveness for not recognizing his voice. Now I am learning to hear his voice. 

Application
  1. Do you hear God’s voice? 
  2. How does God speak to you?
  3. Why did I not recognize His voice? 
  4. We listen to too many voices. The world yells for us to follow it's way. We must learn to turn our ear His way  we will only hear His voice.
Prayer:
Dear Father, open my ears to you only. Make me deaf to the voices of the world that might lead me astray. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, God speaks to His. And Jesus gave a simple command to Peter, 'if you love me, feed my sheep'. I think Jesus meant for those who love Him to care for the lost and help them find their way to Jesus. I laugh everytime someone says, I found Jesus. No, you didnt found Jesus. Jesus was never lost. It is so hard for us to see such simple things that its no wonder God calls us His children. Hungry sheep hunger and thirst to know God, if we love Jesus we should lead those who hunger and thirst to Jesus, not away from Him.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Comments